Decompression therapy, one of the treatments offered by your Moncks Corner, SC, medical providers, Dr. Rima Patel and Dr. Jerald Yaden of Yaden Physical and Integrated Medical, may offer an excellent solution for your back pain. The treatment can also help relieve tingling and numbness that can accompany back pain.
What is decompression therapy?
Decompression therapy uses traction to stretch your spine and decrease pressure on the spinal discs. The rubbery discs are found between the small bones (vertebrae) that make up your spine. Your discs act as shock absorbers and help you move easily. If they begin to deteriorate or bulge, you may experience chronic pain.
What are the advantages of decompression therapy?
Decompression therapy offers several important benefits, including:
- No Side Effects: Although pain medication can be helpful if you have back or neck pain, many medications cause side effects. Decompression therapy relieves your pain without causing nausea or drowsiness.
- Pain-Free Treatment: Decompression therapy uses gentle pressure to relieve pressure on the discs without any pain. In fact, many people find the treatment very relaxing.
- Faster Healing: Relieving pressure with decompression therapy makes it easier for oxygen and nutrients needed for healing to reach your spinal discs.
- Reduced Risk of Surgery: Decompression therapy might help you avoid surgery or at least delay it.
- An Excellent Treatment for Many Conditions: Decompression therapy can be used to treat sciatica, bulging and herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, injured spinal nerve roots, posterior facet syndrome, pinched nerves, spinal stenosis, and other conditions.
What happens during decompression therapy?
During decompression therapy at the Moncks Corner, SC, office, you'll lie on a special table. Before the treatment begins, your doctor will put a harnesses around your trunk and pelvis. The harness is used to gently stretch your spine using a motorized, computer-controlled system.
Each therapy session lasts 20 to 30 minutes and includes several short stretching cycles. Initially, you'll visit the office several times a week for decompression therapy. After just a few treatments, you'll probably experience a noticeable improvement in your pain.
Would you like to find out if decompression therapy is right for you? Call your medical providers in Moncks Corner, SC, Dr. Patel, and Dr. Yaden at Yaden Physical and Integrated Medical at (888) 473-4394 to schedule your appointment.